Tuesday, August 28, 2012

We did it!!!!




It's Tuesday August 29th, 2012.  What with packing, hotel checkout, and the flight back home to Denver, CO from Louisville, KY I wasn't able to post the final blog yesterday!   Race day was amazing, fun, heart-wrenching, hard, and exhilarating.  I was told before the race to expect the unexpected.  There were difficult things that happened I didn't expect.  During the race my timing chip got knocked off in the swim, a shredded tire left me stranded for 40 minutes early in the bike, and I had to battle upper and lower leg cramps for 8 hours. But, along with the frustration and the pain I found unexpected joy as well. You don't expect to see the army of volunteers at aid stations happy to help get you drinks and snacks, or people out along the side of the road all day shouting works of encouragement.  I also didn't expect to feel the pride I got when I passed fire trucks and firefighters along the side of the road.  Nor did I expect the tears and the surge of adrenaline I got at mile 101 of the bike ride when I saw a man holding a baby with his family cheering on late day arrivals.  It made me think about my family and friends and reminded me you were there in spirit.
   
I've said it before and I'll say it again now.  You don't do Ironman on your own.  You carry the hopes, dreams, fears, failures, and triumphs or all those close to you that make you who you are.  Crossing the finish line was nothing like I've ever experienced before.  The finish time of 16:00:08 won't have you packing your bags for the annual World Championships held in Kona, Hawaii... but we did it!!! And, along the way we raised $600 for Colorado fire relief in the name of the American Red Cross, Colorado Chapter.  I want to give a great big thank you to all those that gave with your pocket books, your hearts, and your words of encouragement!  I am as happy and thankful of the support as I am of the accomplishment of being called an "Ironman".

If you're wondering, I do plan to do future full length triathlons.  This was always a dream of mine, and now I'm living it.  I'm already thinking about how to push my times down.  For now I'll say make sure to dream and do those things you've dreamed of... and don't wait.  Excuses will never leave you fulfilled and regret never goes away.  Thank you, and God bless.

Yours truly,
Sol

No comments:

Post a Comment